- This event has passed.
August 14, 2017 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
The townspeople of Burlington, Maine appeared at the August 14th town meeting to vote and enact the ‘Town of Burlington Local Food and Community Self Governance Ordinance’. It is believed to be one of the first towns in the area to do so.
This ordinance would allow producers or processors of local foods in the Town of Burlington to be exempt from licensure and inspection provided that the transactions are only between the producer of processor and a patron when the food is sold for home consumption.
This would also include any producer or processor who sells his or her products at a farmer’s market or roadside stand; sells his or her products through farm based sales directly to a patron, or delivers his or her products directly to patrons.
It also states that, “Burlington citizens possess the right to save and exchange seed; produce, process, sell, purchase, and consume local foods of their choosing”.
1st Selectman Steven Sundberg stated, “I believe our citizens are capable and independent adults who can make their own agreements with their neighbors to purchase or not purchase home goods. If it is a bad product, then they just won’t buy from them again.”
Additionally, the Town voted to appropriate money for the construction of a town sand and salt shed which will be completed within the next 120 days.
The Town of Burlington also committed a tax rate of .0174, a rate which has held steady for the past several years.
Other items passed by verbal vote;
- Appropriating funds for a paving project on Back Road.
- Appropriating funds for an increase in pay for the Town Fire Chief.
- Appropriating $680,877.26 for the Evergreen Municipal Development and Tax Increment Financing District Fund.
- Appropriated $340,438.63 from the Evergreen Municipal Development and Tax Increment Financing District Fund for the Evergreen Project Cost Account.
- Appropriated $340,438.63 from the Evergreen Municipal Development and Tax Increment Financing District Fund for the Town Project Cost Account.