School District: School Choice
Senate District: 8
House District: 141
Congressional District: 2
Area: 56.8 sq miles
Pop. Density: 7/sq mile
Longitude: W 68:22:20
Latitude: N 45:16:08
Burlington is a town in Penobscot County, incorporated on March 8, 1832 from the unorganized township of T2 R1 NBPP, EPR. Named for a Massachusetts town, it annexed a two-mile strip in 1835 and some additional land from Lowell in 1847.
The township was first settled in 1824, probably by Tristam Hurd who donated the name Hurd Ridge to the area. Lumbering and agriculture have been the main occupations ever since.
The town is about 45 miles north of Bangor, and east of the Howland exit on Interstate 95 following Route 188 east from Enfield.
Burlington is bordered on the north end with the town of Lincoln. Madagascal Pond is on the northeast side of Burlington and Saponac Lake on
the South end. “Saponac” comes from the Indian word for the big opening. Originally Chibanook, the lake was a big opening when ascending the Passadumkeag River.
From Maine: An Encyclopedia (www.themaineencyclopedia.com)
For census information: http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/23000.html